Monday 9 January 2012

TEDDY: IT'S GONNA BE A BEAR (2011)


Anyone who reads my stuff knows how I like to share awesome short films I come across.  I enjoy sharing the work of up and coming filmmakers.  Teddy is a short I've loved since I seen it late last year, and one I've always wanted to review and share with you all.

Teddy is a throwback to 80's slasher movies brought to us by Steve Goltz and Kevin Sommerfield (be sure to check out the horror podcast for Slasher Studios and follow them on Twitter as it's great to listen to if you're a horror fan).  It's about a group of college kids who encounter a killer hellbent on revenge after the commit a hit and run.  The killer is armed with a hatchet and a teddy bear and he's out to get 'em.

Personally, I think the killer is great.  It's a great concept.  He's clearly disturbed and still childlike in many ways.  I love killers like that.  It's very reminiscent of some of the best killers from the 80's but at the same time he's fresh in his own right.  The addition of a teddy bear with a hatchet is genius in my opinion.  The college kids all do a great job as well with very solid acting, one of whom is a beer gulping legend who provides a great comedy outlet.  He's also the type you want to see get all cut up.  All the great slasher movies have a character that deserves what they get but they tend to be the ones you love the most.

Now onto the kills...

For a low budget short, the kills are actually awesome and very well done.  My personal favorite is both disgusting and hilarious and makes you think that ''no one should ever have one of those shoved up there.''  You'll know when you see it, I really don't want to spoil this.  The scene with the killer holding a severed head is another highlight for me.  It looked so awesome and twisted... Again, you'll see.


Teddy is 11 minutes of pure fun.  It's made in homage to a genre the filmmakers clearly love and that aspect shines throughout it.  It wears its love of 80s slashers on its sleeve without feeling dated.  The filmmakers have talent and I can't wait to see more from.  I really enjoy Teddy and I hope you do too.

Follow Kevin Sommerfield and Slasher Studios on Twitter and get details on some awesome podcasts here:

https://twitter.com/#!/slasherstudios



No comments:

Post a Comment