Saturday 4 August 2012

Rites of Spring (2011)

I don't really know what my favorite genre of film is, but when I try to figure it out the end result is usually a toss up between horror and crime movies.  Along with comedy, that's probably what I spend most of my time watching.  This movie had all of the 3 (even though it's not a comedy, I'm sick and laughed at parts).  Rites of Spring doesn't break new ground or set new trends, but is what it is and its still a fun ride.  One could be forgiven for thinking it's a Jeepers Creepers ripoff because, you know, the plot looks like a Jeepers Creepers ripoff.  So what is the plot you ask?  I'll tell you.  On the first day of Spring in 1984 and every year since, 5 girls have gone missing and their bodies have never been recovered.  The Midwest setting also gives it a Creepers vibe, but aside from that this movie has its own thing going for it.  It's a slasher at heart with some crime thriller thrown in for good measure.  Like I said, nothing new but its execution of the tried and tested formula makes for an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

The film revolves around 2 plots; on one hand we have your basic creepy old man and monster in a barn terrorising 2 pretty females in preparation for some sort of sacrifice.  On the other hand, you have a kidnapping of a wealthy businessman's daughter by clumsy criminals who want to extort money from a man you shouldn't mess with.  The first half is like 2 different movies happening at the same time, but when it comes together, it works pretty nicely.

Rites of Spring deserves credit for trying to carve its own little niche.  Sure, it isn't new ground but it is ambitious.  It'smore interested in telling a story rather than just splats, jumps and giggles.  I wouldn't call this a throwback either, because it's not trying to homage anything.  It does what is necessary to get its point across.  Many reviews call this a ''throwback'' but when I hear that word I think Hatchet and Chromeskull.  Is there cliches?  You bet.  But come on?  What haven't we seen before?  And there's nothing wrong with it because the execution is good.

Gorehounds will be satisfied but it's not overly sqeamish.  If you have a weak stomach you'll survive this as it focuses more on story and the kills only happen when necessary, but when they do they're satisfying (ever think you're a little sick when you think horror movie kills are ''satisfying?'  Know that I only condone movie murder).  I read that the director wants to do a trilogy, and I think it has the potential to be great.  I really hope we get it.

Overall, it's nothing new but it is ambitious.  It's a good movie that a lot of horror fans will enjoy.  It does however have flaws.  For instance, there's hardly any back story, but if a trilogy does happen then hopefully more will be covered.  I'd still recommend giving it a watch though.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad to know you condone only movie murder - I'll join you on that! Another one I haven't heard of - will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also condone music murder. But that's a different story. This was a good movie though.

    ReplyDelete