Thursday 9 August 2012

Eddie: The Sleepwalking Cannibal (2012)

It was the title that peaked my interest in this one.  I had heard absolutely nothing about it until the wonderful title screamed at me, ''LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT'' and slapped me in the face.  I had to check this out and I'm so happy I did.  It's perfect; funny, gruesome, original, Stephen McHattie, charming and so wonderfully independent and Canadian it just makes the heart warm.  It's actually a very sweet movie considering the dark content; cannibalism and murder is unacceptable in most societies, but in this film the cannibal isn't a bad guy at all.  He's actually very sweet and simple.  He doesn't know what he's doing.  The true villain is Lars, who is exploiting Eddie because his cannibalism inspires him to paint again and sell his works.  He might be taking advantage of poor Eddie, but Lars isn't a bad guy either.  This is better than you might expect.  It's not a fun, trashy comedy.  It's smart, funny, original and endearing.  This is a cult classic waiting to happen.

1 comment:

  1. This is the first i have heard of this film, sounds interesting so I might order a copy.

    ReplyDelete