Monday 1 October 2012

The IMDB October Challenge: Day 1

The IMDB October Challenge is a special time of year for many a horror fan and sparks huge excitement every year.  It allows us to discover new movies, revisit classics and share recommendations with each other.  What it really does though is just give us another excuse to watch horror movies.  October is a special time for many horror fan though, this one included.  I marked day 1 of the October Challenge by watching 3 movies, all of which were first time views.  So without further adieu, I present to you my thoughts.

The Woman In Black (2012)

It was torture trying to pick which movie I wanted to watch first.  After I weighed up my options I managed to narrow it down to ghost movies.  I also had to watch one my girlfriend could enjoy since she was present at the time, so I chose the remake of a movie I really enjoy - The Woman In Black.

It gets off to a great start and has all the elements you need to create a creepy vibe; there's porcelain dolls, creepy little girls and a haunting score.  It's made all the more better when the little girls jump from a window to their deaths.  For the next hour, the movie is almost identical to the original, but afterwards it throws in some extra part of its own and becomes slightly superior to the original, albeit not by much.  I really enjoyed this and I give it a 7/10.  *Insert generic Harry Potter joke.*


The Entity (1982)

Another first time watch.  I know what you're thinking, how can I be a horror fan and only just seen The Entity?  I honestly couldn't tell you.  It's so uncool of me.  Even my mother has seen it.  Anyway, this was a fascinating movie as it was based on supposed actual events.  Despite a sloppy script, this was a thoroughly enjoyable feature that ventured between slightly disturbing and hilarious.  Although I don't condone rape, I think an invisible spirit with the horn is grounds for a kick ass horror movie.

Some of this was hilarious; the psychiatrist seemed to have an obsessive perverted fascination with all things sex.  Any time he talks about sex or asks about it just look at his expression and the look in his eyes and try and keep a straight face.  Anyway, great movie. 8/10.

The Wicker Man (1973)

I'm counting this as a first time viewing because every time I've tried to watch it in the past I've ended up missing it, either by staying up too late to watch it and falling asleep, failing to be home to watch it on television or some other unfortunate circumstances.  I've seen parts but not all of it.  Before I get started I should also mention I love Nic Cage's remake and he's my favorite actor.  The 1973 original however, has become an instant classic to me.

This is just so unique, funny, bizarre and original, all the while being a truly horrifying concept that's sugar coated with gleeful characters, wonderful music, the beauty of mother nature and celebratory nudity.  It's a low budget masterpiece.  Everything about it is just perfect.  10/10.


Overall, a very enjoyable first day to the Challenge.  I'm going to try and beat 31 movies this year due to my neglect of horror the past few weeks.  There's so much movies I intend to discover for the first time, as well as some classics and gems that need a revisit.  I'll keep you all posted here.

2 comments:

  1. I loved WOMAN IN BLACK, so far one of my fave horror flicks of this year.

    WICKER MAN... well, what to say? Awesome as fuck!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOMAN IN BLACK was surprisingly great. The children killing themselves was a really great addition.

    I think I'm going to check out THE WICKER TREE lol

    ReplyDelete