Friday 23 March 2012

Slaughtered Innocence (2012)

Anyone who is a fan of the movie Old School starring Luke Wilson, Vince Vaughn & Will Ferrell probably remembers the wedding scene with 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' playing.  If you're like my friends and I, you associate that song with the movie - or at least you did until you watched Slaughtered Innocence by Tyler Hosley.  Now, I can't give away any spoilers but when you watch this you'll know what I'm talking about and you won't ever listen to that song the same way again.

I've watched all of Tyler's shorts, and each one just keeps getting better and better.  This is my favorite one yet.  I love every twisted minute of it.  This is hard to review because I can't give away anything because you need to see it for yourself.  It's only 7+ minutes long, but every single minute is used so effectively, with each of them creating a memorable scene.  All I'll reveal is the awesome use of 'Total Eclipse of the Heart' and the greatest phone call ever made to a partner.  Trust me, every minute of this will stick in your mind.

Now as I can't give away anything that happens, it doesn't mean to say I can't tell you other reasons why it's awesome.  As stated before, the use of music throughout this is so effective that dialogue isn't even needed, but when the dialogue is used it's memorable.  I also loved the use of the shaky cam, as it gave it a disjointed feel that really worked.  It's kinda like if someone filmed a documentary in one of your darkest nightmares.  The phone call that I mentioned is also really funny, albeit in the darkest of ways.  It's black comedy and not for everyone, but those of you who read this blog will get a kick out of it.  That's not saying it's a comedy though, because there's some genuinely creepy horror here.  All of Tyler's shorts have interesting characters and the dude has a real knack for writing horror.  Each short keeps getting better, I know for a fact from talking to him how good his ideas are and I look forward to every future project he does.  So, sit back, leave all morals at the door and watch this awesome short - and the rest of his shorts.  I also recommend Junkie.  Watch them all though and you'll see the progression of a young filmmaker with skills and ideas so twisted they make a car wreck look like a calm, spring boat ride.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment